Monday, May 30, 2011

Got a house!

Good news is that I have a house in PA now. In it, there is a nice office with a great place for a fish tank. The wife suggested a corner for the tank... which will make it a bow one. Well, I kinda always wanted a bow corner tank. On other news, there is a great fish store just 6 miles away from the house! And last but not least, the house has an RO unit in the kitchen... so I can get my own water without going to the store. Thinks are looking good. I will sell impose a goal of 8/1 for having a tank with water in it.

Store: http://www.wetpetsandfriends.com/

2 comments:

Janey said...

What kind of fish are you hoping to put in your tank, or have already put in your tank? I'm living at a place that only allows fish as pets, so I'm going to get a really nice tank and start filling it with different species I can find at the local pet store. Should I stick with freshwater fish?

Abdiel said...

Hello and thanks for the message. At this point, I have not setup a tank yet. We have done lots of work and improvements to the house and that has taken lots of time from everything else. I stil plan on setting up a tank. However, I have an ongoing debate with the wife since she wants me to setup something small and I want at least 90 gallons.

About your question on salt vs fresh... Salt water is much more beautiful, exciting and varied than fresh, no doubt about it. The challenge is that it is much more costly (original setup and livestock) and you need to know what you are doing. Meaning... Keeping saltwater is a hobby and not just a "pet". If you are willing to spend a bit more and dedicate time to understand the ecosystem, then you will get lots of satisfaction from the hobby. You can always start with easier fish or corals, and as you keep them alive then you can move to more challenging species.

The tank I had (blog pixs) was very easy to keep up. I fed the livestock twice a week and once over the weekend. I spent an hour cleaning it every weekend and that was it! Once you balance the ecosystem, it thrives on itself and you just sit back and watch.

If you decide to take the salt water challenge, the most important thing to do is read, talk to the local fish store and finally get the best equipment you can afford. It pays in the long run.

Good luck!